DOC Car Question: 1991 Mercedes 500SL issue
I have an issue with a 1991 500SL that has been difficult to troubleshoot. Maybe someone is familiar with this issue on the R129 model and knows the solution.
- Car was found parked outside for 5 years. It did not run when it was picked up.
- Both fuel pumps were replaced along with a new fuel filter.
- Oil and coolant flushed.
- Gas Tank drained
- Car passed smog
- When the gas pedal is pressed gradually, the car will accelerate and change gears with no problem. If I stomp on the gas pedal to the floor and hold it there, the engine will rev but the car will not go any faster than the current speed.
- I suspected the gas pedal kick down switch which was replaced along with the kick down solenoid on the transmisison. No effect.
- The engine computer was swapped out with 2 other computers and still the same issue.
What is the problem? How to fix?
What do you think?