Spotted for sale is a 1961 Porsche 356 Cabriolet (Karmann Notchback Conversion) Project Car for $30,000
1961 Porsche 356 Cabriolet (Karmann Notchback Conversion) Project Car
Complete car, but needs full restoration to finish conversion to the Cabriolet from the Notchback shell.
This car was purchased as a “project” 25 years ago in Arizona and it has been sitting in my garage ever since. I no longer has the workshop space to complete the project.
The known history of the car: The original owner purchased a 61 Cabriolet in Europe while in the military. At some later date, the Cabriolet body deteriorated beyond a repairable state and it was stripped for parts. A conversion to a Cabriolet using a Karmann Notchback body (Karmann hardtop welded to cabriolet shell) was started because the Cabriolet body shell was beyond repair. The original owner boxed up all the Cabriolet parts but the Karmann shell sat outside in either Alaska or Idaho for 10+ years. All the paperwork and hinge plate VIN numbers are from the original Cabriolet; the Karmann shell maintains it’s original “Coupe” VIN number. I have the original paperwork and VIN plates, and service records dating to when the car was purchased and driven in Europe (by the military owner); those documents all match to the original 1961 cabriolet.
• Some metal work started, but is rough. (floor pans, one side longitudinal, front closing panel battery box and sides).
• Comes with most, or all of needed sheet metal. This is all for and from the original 1961 cabriolet. New metal is from Stoddard.
• All original parts (dismantled and boxed up around 1978 from a newspaper wrapped around the gauges).
• Chrome items are in good condition.
• Original red leather interior.
• Matching engine and transmission/transaxle (complete engine/exhaust/carbs, cooling, etc.).
• Missing one bumper (rear?) and the windshield glass.
• Extra tail section.
• Extra transaxle.
• 4 extra brake drums.
• 4 extra wheels.
Buyer to either pick up or arrange to have picked up. Car is located in the Sacramento, California area.
NOT SELLING PARTS – SO DON’T ASK.
Additional pictures are available on request. Serious offers only. This is project which needs to go to a good home.
Join newsletter for details